Sunday, March 2, 2008

Easy Peasy Ginger Beer

Easy Peasy Ginger Beer
Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver, shared by Randy, S/V Homeward Bound

Ginger beer, always handy for a Dark and Stormy, but wait there is more. Ginger is also useful in reducing the effects of sea sickness. I tried this recipe today. Not too bad! I could imagine myself in the tropics although I was a little heavy handed with the ginger.

Ingredients

5 ounces (140 grams) fresh ginger
4 tablespoons muscovado sugar
2 to 3 lemons
1 3/4 pints (1 liter) soda water or sparkling mineral water
Sprigs of fresh mint

Okay, so I didn't have muscovado (brown) sugar and I had to use white.
Grate the ginger on a coarse grater -you can leave the skin on if you like.
Put the ginger with its pulpy juice in to a bowl and sprinkle in your muscovado sugar.
Remove the rind from 2 of your lemons with a vegetable peeler, add to the bowl, and slightly bash and squash with something heavy like a rolling pin or a pestle. Just do this for 10 seconds, to mix up the flavours.
Squeeze the juice from all 3 lemons and add most of it to the bowl.
Pour in the fizzy water.

Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then taste. You may feel that the lemons are slightly too sour, therefore add a little more sugar; if it's slightly too sweet, add a little more lemon juice.
Pass the ginger beer through a coarse sieve in to a large jug and add lots of ice and some sp
rigs of mint.
Great for those dog days of summer!

4 comments:

Lorraine E said...

Thanks for the details of the recipe, I saw it last night on tv and didn't have the actual quantities. Even the pictures look refreshing! :D

S.V Bristol Rose said...

Hi Lorraine,
That's a funny quinkie dink. Enjoy.

Jessica said...

Sounds yummy. Since ginger ale doesn't usually have ginger in it these days, I'm looking forward to this.

Squishy said...

I have been itching to make ginger beer for the last week or so as part of my series on Glace ginger. your recipe looks great and thirst quenching.